Image Attribution: “BC Transit: Together We Ride” by Kalayevany Couttignane is licensed under CC0. Aberdeen Mall, Kamloops, BC, Canada (See interactive map)

Visa 1500

Visual Analysis Assignment

Name: Kalayevany Couttignane

Professor: Terryl Atkins

Date: 23rd September 2020

As COVID-19 continues to rapidly spread around the globe, the advertisement on BC Transit in Kamloops vehicles is an excellent way to communicate messages to a large audience just as spoken or written words. The purpose of this image is to spread awareness to ensure the safety and well-being of everyone during the health crisis. Also, to help you reach your destination safely and efficiently. The story that this image conveys as school date approaches is for people to act in accordance to the guidelines of COVID-19 while using the transit.

We can see that the scene takes place inside the bus. There are many light colours and this poster is divided into two parts; a creative text and an image print. Communication through pictures has a great influence on us and this poster grabs the instant attention of passengers riding the bus. What caught my eye when I looked at the ad in the top left-hand corner is the girl wearing a mask for self-protection and the protection of others. The fact that she is standing and not sitting makes me wonder if she is scared to sit or has the bus been sanitized? The way the image was composed, we can see that requirement to wear a face covering on all public transport in BC remains in place and is mandatory.

The quality of the picture is clear and realistic, both presented in the right manner. I feel like the advertisement puts together different elements: the image’s colour, texts, logo, design, as well as the form which brings out its possible meaning. Besides, font style used in advertising send different messages to the reader. The bus etiquette conveyed in the top right-hand corner for example:“Together we ride” uses a bolder font compared to the one at the bottom where the information intended to pass has been delivered already. While, the text in the middle is bright, flashier, larger and eye-catching than all the other writings.

BC Transit is trying to convince everyone that there’s a deadly virus out there and we should all be careful and take all necessary precautions. The company aims to create a safe atmosphere. For example according to the website: “Following the guidance of the Provincial Health Office and WorkSafeBC and drawing on the best practices of the transit industry worldwide, we are continuing with many of the measures put in place to respond to COVID-19.” Mandatory face covering policy came into effect on August 24, 2020 but after traveling in the bus for a month, many people are still not wearing masks despite official advice.

In my opinion and from my observations, I think they should introduce the “no mask no ride policy” or hand in masks if someone forgot theirs. Also, the picture is effective in getting the message out to the public. Everyone is capable of understanding the poster. However, what surprises me is that we all know you may be able to get the virus by touching or handling high-contrast surface, seats and then touch your face, mouth, eyes or nose which sends an indirect message but at the same time for the person in the picture’s safety, she needs to hold onto the handle.

Cited Source

“Subscribe to Email Alerts.” BC Transit – BC Transit Coronavirus COVID-19 Information, www.bctransit.com/covid19.