Image Attribution: “Explore Canada Advertisement – VISA 1500” by Emily Hinds is licensed under CC0. (See interactive map)

Explore Canada has chosen to use social media as an advertising platform, in this case Pinterest. The advertisement itself is promoting “three road trips through BC and Alberta.” The eye is drawn first to the bright red colouring of the text background, then leading to the main point of the ad. The winding road then draws the eye from left to right following it to the “learn more” prompt at the bottom centre of the image. The contrast of the moodiness in the image of the road to the bright red of the solid background draws your eye in regardless of the background surrounding the ad, whether it be black or white. This image shows the beauty of Western Canada tying in the intended advertisement of road trips. By placing their ad on Pinterest, Explore Canada allows Pinterest to place their ad where it would reach the target audience best. As you can see from the parts of images around this ad, it fits in with other images recommended for myself. Personally, I have a few boards that are for road trips, places to see in BC, along with photography inspiration with the same feel as the image in this advertisement. By allowing the algorithm to boost this ad I am pulled in as it is similar to things I am already looking at. I have seen Explore Canada throughout my life as my family is quite outdoorsy and enjoys using Explore Canada and Hello BC which uses the hashtag “#ExploreBC” as an advertising point. Though unable to find and critiques about Explore Canada, I found their story, according to the website they are “a travel program created for Canadians. Our mission is to educate those who use our program on Canadian & Indigenous history” while claiming to provide a great experience and help save money for their customers.

“Explore Canada: Canadian Travel Program for the World: Learn, Explore & Save.” Explore Canada | Canadian Travel Program for the World | Learn, Explore & Save, Explore Canada Tourism Group Inc., 2020, www.explorecanada.travel/.