Image Attribution: “VISA 1500: Assignment 1 – Part A” by Elana Sedor is licensed under CC0. (See interactive map)

Elana Sedor

VISA 1500

Dr. Terryl Atkins

September 27, 2021

Assignment 1, Part A

I found this advertisement outside the Purdys Chocolatier store in Aberdeen Mall in Kamloops. The poster is half lavender and salmon coloured, split in half diagonally and in front of the background are four different chocolate bars angled diagonally near the bottom with the Purdys logo in the bottom right corner. In the top left, in a dark purple font is the slogan, “Vegan, sorry it’s SO good.” 

The advertisement is simplistic in design, with the colours and the chocolate all at different angles giving the poster a sharp look. The colours match with Purdys brand as purple is the main colour that they use.

The advertisement is promoting Purdys’ new line of vegan chocolate bars that they started selling this year. The target audience for this advertisement are vegans as well as people who tend to be skeptical about trying vegan/plant-based food. Based on the advertisement saying “Sorry it’s SO good”, as there is a common stereotype that vegan food tastes bad or different from non-vegan food.

Purdys Vice President for Sales and Marketing, Kriston Dean says, “Our customers have expressed the need for more options that suit their personal preferences and needs. As Canada’s chocolatier, we want to make chocolates for everyone to enjoy including customers looking for plant-based options. This is just the beginning!”

Purdys is just one of many food companies around the world that have started offering vegan/plant-based options for consumers. From fast-food chains selling plant-based burgers to coffee shops offering non-dairy substitutes for their beverages. Of course, vegan diets are nothing new in today’s society, but the number of people becoming vegetarian, vegan, or those just wanting to incorporate more plant-based options into their diet has increased substantially over the past several years causing the major food companies and corporations around the world to evolve with the consumer to continue to provide options for new and returning customers.

I do know that the chocolate has been received well by other vegans as well as people with dietary restrictions from taking a look at their website. As someone who is not vegan or vegetarian, I have not tried many plant-based or vegan food options. But as a chocolate lover, I do know that this advertisement made me curious about how the chocolate tastes compared to non-vegan chocolate and I am sure that many other curious outsiders might be thinking the same thing. Maybe one day I will try it.

Works Cited

Magazine, VegWorld. “Purdys Chocolatier Launches New Vegan Chocolate Bars.” VEGWORLD Magazine, 14 Sept. 2021, vegworldmag.com/purdys-chocolatier-launches-new-vegan-chocolate-bars/. 

Nathalie. “Vegan Dark Chocolate Trail Mix BAR, 50 g.” Purdys Chocolatier, 16 Sept. 2021, www.purdys.com/vegan-dark-chocolate-trail-mix-bar-50-g. 

Ramanathan, Lavanya. “How ‘Plant-Based’ Rebranded Vegan Eating for the Mainstream.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 27 May 2020, www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2019/02/15/how-plant-based-rebranded-vegan-eating-for-the-mainstream/.