Image Attribution: “Preventing sexual assault in campus” by Duke Gomes is licensed under CC0. (See interactive map)

Duke Gomes

VISA 1500-01

Dr. Terryl Adkins

September 2021

Assignment 1, Part 1

The photo of advertisement I’m analyzing has taken from the campus of TRU Male washroom. It’s exactly situated on the top of urinal pot so that its visible to everyone. This advertisement is made by captive media which is a Canadian out of home media company based in Kamloops, British Columbia. The advertisement I have chosen is about sexual awareness. it’s about an idea that need to be accepted by the people around the world. The main focus on this advertisement is sexual assault in university campus which is not ok. It was created to make an awareness among the people who come to campus for work or class. By putting this advertisement in the washroom, they are making is sure that if anyone doesn’t want to have a peek of that but still unconsciously their eyes go on that advertisement while they are using the washroom.

In the picture we can see that to male individual walking holding their hands on the road looks like they are going back to home after their class. On the left had side there is a tree which seems to be blurry in the picture. The individuals are wearing dark cloths which is contrast to the background color and also the color of message they trying to convey. Which is really stunning because the advertisement company tried to make a layer of colors so that it makes two focal point in the advertisement itself. To make the main object clearer they put light background so that the focal points is clear to the audience. If we look at the advertisement anyone can tell that the background with blurry building and the message on the image is light color. On the other hand, if we look at another focal point which is two individual male they have dark color. The message written on the advertisement is “Walking them home is not yes.” That is trying to tell people sex without consent is rape. Sexual assault rate always remains high on college campuses because of diversity. In my opinion, the image is effective in getting the message to the target group. It is because the advertisement is that I have taken a photo is really easy to understand what does this advertisement is trying to say and who they are targeting. Before looking at this advertisement I didn’t have a clear knowledge about sexual assault in the campuses. Its because people don’t to talk about this topic openly. I think, it’s a great initiative to increase awareness among people about sexual assault.

As I mentions in my first paragraph that I found this advertisement in the washroom of TRU and I believe this ad is noticeable in this environment. Its because the foot traffic is really high in this area. Its not like people are always intentionally noticing this add on the wall, sometime people unintentionally notice it’s just because of the position of the advertisement.

I did recognize the company’s brand because they work in high traffic area where people go very often so that the advertisement are more visible than another place. Even to ensure a safe environment for students, faculty and staff by law policy addressing sexual violence and misconduct.

References:

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2018AEST0002-000012

http://www.captivemedia.ca/

https://academic.oup.com/socpro/article/53/4/483/1711176?login=true