Image Attribution: “M&M Food Market advertisement” by Talia Michel-Isaac is licensed under CC BY-SA. (See interactive map)

Talia Michel-Isaac

Visa 1500

Dr. Terryl Adkins

September 29, 2021

Assignment 1, Part A

Whilst I was walking home, I captured this advertisement from the M&M food market. A plate of food with beef pot roast, potatoes, and vegetables on a table surrounded by a white background. M&M food market is formally known as M&M Meat Shops, as they are merely advertising their selection of meats.

The image of an advertisement on a billboard outside by a bus stop is a highly saturated dish of Pot roast highlighting the gravy on the top. As the main focus, the space is only showing partially the plate cutting off the vegetable portion of the dish, followed by the “Fully cooked Beef Pot Roast” heading above.  The visible lines going down the roast beef showing where it had been cut make it look easy to tear apart. The intention of this advertisement is to try to convince you to buy some of their selection of meat, in showing a ready-made meal. By using a variety of different elements than making the meat look the only to appear to be appealing to view.

The way in which this advertisement looks I would believe it is very persuasive, you could be driving or walking by and when you see this your stomach could be hungry for a big dish of food. Consequently, a homeless person could be less amused by this considering he or she may not have a home to cook this in. I believe this image does catch my attention enough to want me to go home and find something to eat after, to make a meal just the same or better.

This advertisement was just outside the M&M Food Market on the sidewalk so people could easily bypass if they were on foot. It is not so much that you could easily view while driving unless you are the passenger or on a bus. In my opinion, I would suggest that it would have an effect on me if I was really hungry and looking to get some groceries for the week.

This company is well known to Canadians, as they have changed their name from “M&M Meat Shops” to “M&M Food Market” in the last decade to give an even easier way to supply your weekday meals. Not only it offers just the meat they have to allows you to have easy access to a more selection of everyday meals online and pick up your at local store. They have changed their name to the convenience that they may get more sales production if they were to have more selection to the brand. That they may target more customers through this rebranding to advertise more effectively.

References:

https://www.encyclo.co.uk/meaning-of-M&M_Meat_Shops

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/mm-meat-shops-change-name-food-market