Image Attribution: “Shoppers Drug Mart Quo Beauty Advertisement” by Sara Humberstone is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA. (See interactive map)

Sara Humberstone

VISA 1500: Assignment 1: Analyzing Pictures

I found this advertisement while walking through a Shoppers Drug Mart. The ad is for the brand of makeup Quo Beauty, and it says, “Go for Bold,” with a stylishly dressed young women depicting said boldness with her choice of colorful and audacious eye-makeup. One can assume it was created for consumers as if to say “hey, pick me, and you will be seen as fearless.”

This advertisement is hung off the product shelves, almost like a flag, demanding to be seen by anyone walking down the aisle. Around it is some of the products made by Quo Beauty, with their prices and other more subtle displays telling the consumer what each thing is. At the top, above everything else, is the brand name lit up bright and white and is easy to see. The photo itself is clear and allows the audience to see all the colors of the products and the ad. Behind the ad, one can see another photo of a few women that also have colorful, and “bold” makeup.

The ad gives off the message that by choosing Quo Beauty, one would have a spunkier, or more courageous lifestyle. Also, if you look at the other photo of women behind it, it portrays happiness, as if it can only be had by choosing their brand.

Using models of women exclusively around the age of early to late twenties, most definitely attracts that certain age group and possibly also women older or younger who might want to be at that age. Also, even within that age category, between the ad and the other photos, there is representation of diversity, possibly to give the depiction that their makeup is for anyone.

As I previously said, I found this ad in a Shoppers Drug Mart, which as a makeup brand, it makes perfect sense for it to be there. The items were at the very start of the aisle, which in turn gives it the inevitable advantage of being the first to be seen. While there is no specific effect it had on me, I was drawn to it because of how colorful the section was, and when I saw the ad I instantly knew what it was trying to get across.

I personally did not recognize the brand or their products, though I am sure I will from now on. The brand is a “private label color cosmetics line” launched by Shoppers in 1999. The line has recently been relaunched as completely vegan and cruelty free according to a William Reed’s article written by Deanna Utroske in July of 2020. Not only are products vegan, but the brushes are as well. Shoppers also launched a Pride collection under Quo Beauty for a limited time back in May.

Resources

Utroske, D. (2020, October 07). Quo Beauty reformed and relaunched. Retrieved September 28, 2021, from https://www.cosmeticsdesign.com/Article/2020/10/07/Quo-Beauty-reformulated-and-relaunched

Shoppers Drug Mart. (2021, May 27). Quo Beauty Brand Launches its First Pride- Inspired Collection. Retrieved September 28, 2021, from https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/quo-beauty-tm-brand-launches-its-first-pride-inspired-collection-847388140.html